Saturday, January 5, 2008

The end of Christmas break






When Christmas break begins, two weeks seems like an endless time to go without routine, albeit a great feeling when you're a teacher! However, when it boils down to it, two weeks is just enough time to get into a routine of non-routine and superb relaxation without any pressing activities, duties, work, etc. It's a glorious glimpse into what summer is like.

As much as I love my job, it's a bit depressing thinking about going back to the 5:30-9:30 schedule. I've enjoyed being up a little later in the evenings, and sleeping in a bit in the mornings (although with a child, 7:30 is considered sleeping in!). I've also enjoyed some of the perks of not working--being able to play and hang out with Violet and my husband, and getting to do some of my hobbies--scrapbooking, cooking things other than hamburger helper, reading for fun (which is a nice break after two and a half years of grad school), and getting the house into some semblance of order.

That all being reflection, Ben, I and Violet had a marvelous Christmas break. This Christmas was definitly one full of highlights--Violet really getting into opening presents and figuring out that as much as she enjoys books, they're not quite as fun to open as boxes, saying good-bye to Ben's dad & step-mom's house in Western Springs, IL., playing volleyball with the Talsma cousins until we all couldn't move, bowling, sledding, and the list goes on. It's a Christmas that we will always remember with a smile.

As I look into a new year, I look forward to the unknowns it brings. I anticipate that by the end of 2008, Violet will be chattering away, and I especially anticipate this summer as she will be big enough to run around in the yard and do all those things I fondly remember as a child.

I hope you all have had a great start to the new year! If I figured it out, the pictures are selections from our Christmas travels.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the blog Charissa! Violet is beautiful & I can't believe how big she is. I'm glad you're getting to spend some time with her & I can definitely vouch for how hard you worked in grad school and how nice it is to be reading for fun again. :)
Take care & thanks for sharing!
Carri

Unknown said...

Charissa - I should also mention - you can set the blog to allow people to leave anonymous comments (without having to create a google account).